What We Do
To facilitate the global use of ocean-derived innovations
The Office for Technology Transfer covers intellectual property protection and technology transfer activities at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. The office supports scientists, engineers, research staff, and students in the translation of their ideas into useful products and services.
The office provides the following services:
- IP assessment, IP protection & patent filing
- Forms & agreements (NDAs, MTAs. etc.)
- WHOI start up company support
- Marketing, outreach, & licensing
- Identification and coordination of translational funding sources for WHOI PIs (e.g., SBIR)
- Guidance and support for WHOI PIs speaking with outside companies
- IP & commercialization education & resources
A Record of Success in Ocean Derived Technologies
From independent spin-offs to WHOI driven startups, see how WHOI innovations are succeeding in the marketplace.